Do you like sour beer?
No, not the kind you left in your truck over the summer … and the winter … and dug out in the spring thinking, “Oh, I bet that age gave it some character.”
We’re talking the intentionally sour, beers to which special yeasts are introduced to render them sour rather than even slightly sweet or smooth.
Seriously, people love palate rakers, guys and gals alike. During September’s Louisville Craft Beer Week, about 40 people gathered for an extensive tasting of sour beers that lasted a few hours, and the general consensus among the well-puckered party a wish there were more sour offerings on local taps.
Well if you’re one of those types, or someone who’d like to experiment with this style (popular for centuries in Europe), then plan on attending the St. Sours Day Sunday party at Holy Grale on Nov. 24. The event begins at 1 p.m. and will see nearly 40 special sours offered.
Chef Josh Lehman will create some special dishes that’ll pair well with sour beers—and it’s always recommended you have food with these to help offset their gut-grinding acid and balance the palate.
If you’re already a sour lover, check out the lineup below for some of your favorites.
If not, but you still know a good party when you see one, Holy Grale’s regular and humongous list of beers will still available.
- Jolly Pumpkin iO
- Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca 2012
- Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura 2012
- Jolly Pumpkin Sobre Humano
- Prairie Funky Galaxy
- Prairie Merica
- Prairie Somewhere
- Goose Island Dominique 2011
- Goose Island Lolita
- Goose Island “lambic” Matilda
- Cantillon Kriek
- Cantillon Gueuze
- Tilquin Gueuze
- Vanberg & DeWulf Lambickx
- Vicaris Tripel Gueuze
- Evil Twin Femme Fatale Brett
- Evil Twin Justin Blåbær
- Evil Twin Ron and the Beast Ryan
- Against the Grain Tickle Me Ale-Mo
- Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge 2011
- Struise Ypres
- Mikkeller Spontancassis
- Mikkeller Spontangooseberry
- Mikkeller Spontanpeach
- Mikkeller Spontanrosehip
- Mikkeller Spontanseabuckthorn
- Mikkeller Yeast Series 2.0: Brettanomyces Bruxellensis
- Mikkeller Yeast Series 2.0 Brettanomyces Lambicus
- Birrificio del Ducato Brett Peat Daydream
- Trois Dames Winter Sour
- Trois Dames Saison Framboise
- BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien 2010 (wooden cask)
- BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien 2011
- BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien 2012
- Alvinne Wild West
- Alvinne Wild Undressed
- Alvinne Cuvee Freddy 2010
- Hofstetten Granitbock Zymatore (Grenache Barrels)
- Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted Zymatore (gin and Pinot Noir barrels)