Kentucky Oaks night has shifted to September in 2020, but traditionalists still can celebrate on Friday, May 1.
It all starts at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, May 1, with free online interactive activities, including special surprise guests. A full slate of diversion — including Derby style trends, cocktail-making hour and a networking mixer — also are scheduled for the evening. To accompany the cyber festivities, consult our guide and assemble your edible and potable curbside array.
“Derby is such a magical time for our state,” said Tawana Bain, the founder of these three sponsoring organizations, in a news release.
“We are in our homes and away from others at a time when we normally would gather to celebrate as a community. Even though we will eventually get to Derby this September, we wanted to put together an event to inspire and lift the spirits of Oaks and Derby fans in style on the original date of Derby Eve.”
Oaks Night In precedes the Churchill Downs Kentucky Derby at Home celebration on May 2nd.
“We are proud that our partners at Derby Diversity Business Summit are joining us in our Kentucky Derby at Home celebration by programming an incredible Oaks Night In,” added Churchill Downs Vice President of Communications Tonya Abeln in the release.
The tentative schedule for Oaks Night In:
- 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Derby Stylists Talk Do’s, Don’ts and Trends (Brought to you by Derby Fashion Week)
- 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. – Cocktail Making Hour – Mint Juleps and Old Fashions with a Twist
- 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – Sneaker Customization Tutorial (Brought to you by Derby Sneaker Ball)
- 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. – The Black Jockey Celebration
- 8:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. – Derby Eve – Digi Networking Mixer
The free event will support small businesses and the Fund for the Arts Cultural Lou Recovery Campaign.
Derby Diversity Business Summit has been rescheduled to September 1 through 5. Derby Fashion Week‘s new date is September 1 at 4th Street Live!, and the Derby Sneaker Ball is rescheduled for September 3 at the Muhammad Ali Center.