Almost exactly a year ago on August 1, 2019 we took a glance at Swizzle Dinner & Drinks, which was in development on the 25th (twin revolving) floor(s) of the Galt House Hotel in downtown Louisville, and projected to open in the spring of 2020. COVID-19 intervened to delay the project, but now Swizzle has set its opening date for August 27.
Following are a few bullet points from this week’s information release, which describes the restaurant’s bill of fare as “retro dishes with modern preparations.”
- Swizzle is the latest restaurant to open as part of the hotel’s $80 million renovation and follows in the footsteps of Walker’s Exchange (open now) in reimagining a bygone era of Louisville culinary history.
- Swizzle is inspired by a supper club of the same name that operated on Chestnut Street in downtown Louisville in the 1940s and 50s. Back then, the spot was named for the drink stirrers that could mix a patron’s cocktail with just a quick swirl and was billed as the “headquarters for grand food.”
- Swizzle will feature prime steaks, chops, sustainable seafood, local produce, and made in-house sauces. Appetizers include favorites such as lobster bisque and fried calamari, and chilled seafood includes lump crab cocktail served with both traditional cocktail sauce and ginger lime cream, and a fresh selection of East Coast oysters.
- “Swizzle Throwbacks” anchor the menu, including Filet “a la Swizzle”, which is served with a tomato confit tart, grilled bacon and wild mushroom mornay sauce, and cedar plank roasted salmon with crispy broccolini, garlic mashed potatoes, and sundried tomatoes.
- Behind the bar, the emphasis is on time-tested classics with impressive presentation. The Smoke on the Water, for example, is the house old fashioned, served with a smoke bubble on top to be popped, and a classic martini is dressed up with an “everything bagel” spice rim.