(Editor’s note: Andrew Ott, managing member at Against the Grain, is pictured.)
Against the Grain Public House (Slugger Field)* is next up for APRON Inc.’s Chef in a Box promotion, but first the bigger picture.
Food & Dining Magazine continues to preview the forthcoming Chef in a Box offering. It’s a tasty fundraising project dating to the summer of 2020, benefiting APRON Inc.’s ongoing grant program.
Note: The Chef in a Box promotion continues on a monthly basis in 2023.
APRON Inc. was created in 2011 to help provide financial relief to food and beverage industry workers in the Louisville, Kentucky metropolitan area who find themselves in need during times of crises. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, APRON Inc. has stepped up with a far greater volume of assistance to local workers than ever before.
Here’s how Chef in a Box works.
Each week up to fifty patrons can purchase a Chef in a Box for $50, which actually aren’t boxes but reusable bags provided by APRON Inc.
Participating eateries keep $25 toward expenses, while $25 goes to APRON Inc. toward its ongoing grant program.
The contents of Chef in a Box/Bag vary according to the establishment’s specialization and creativity, but you’ll always be able to view the menu in advance and know what you’re getting.
Typically there’ll be tasting selections for two; perhaps a favorite dish of the chef’s, or maybe a meal kit. Participating eateries also are encouraged to include a gift certificate, coupon, or promotional materials.
Chef in the Box Q & A
- How do I order the box? You contact the featured restaurant directly.
- When do I call? You can place your order starting on Friday prior to the restaurant’s featured week.
- Is it pickup or delivery? Each restaurant makes that decision, but usually it’s curbside pickup only.
- How much are the boxes? $50.
- How many boxes does each restaurant sell weekly? 50 boxes, although some have allotted more.
And now, the main attraction for the coming week.
CHEF IN A BOX dinner menu for TWO, $50, pickup April 19 (Wednesday) or April 20 (Thursday), 2023: Against the Grain Public House (Slugger Field).
Wings – Choice of Buffalo, BBQ, Thai chili sauce; or dry rubbed with house or Caribbean jerk seasoning
The ATG Dirty Burger – Two signature house grind beef patties griddled, U.S.A. cheese, shredded lettuce, red onions, pickles, ATG’s not so secret sauce
Fries – seasoned and fried golden
Homemade Fruit Cobbler – seasonal fruit, baked in cast iron
Award winning house made beer – (1) Can of BLK PILS dark lager and (1) can of A-Beer Super American Premium Lager
Gift Card Bonus: A $25 gift card for future use
To order: Please call Against the Grain Public House (Slugger Field) at (502) 515-0174
Pick up times for Chef in a Box: Pick ups will be on Wednesday 19 April and Thursday 20 April between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. at Against the Grain Public House at Slugger Field, 401 East Main St. Louisville, KY 40202.
(All photos by Dan Dry)
* In 2023, Against the Grain’s original downtown Louisville location at Slugger Field has shed its previous identity as “Smokehouse,” and been brought into alignment, both in name and menu, with its more youthful satellite outlet in the Highlands. Today the two kitchens produce the same dishes.
- Against the Grain Public House, 401 E Main Street (Chef in a Box pickup location)
- Public House Highlands, 1576 Bardstown Road (former Cumberland Brews)