The Summer 2023 issue of Food & Dining Magazine — our 20th Anniversary issue — is now available in all the familiar places: Louisville area eateries and food shops, newsstands and online.
Six Forks Burger Co. is next up for APRON Inc.’s Chef in a Box promotion, but first the bigger picture.
Note: The Chef in a Box promotion continues on a monthly basis in 2023.
APRON Inc. was created in 2011 to help provide financial relief to food and beverage industry workers in the Louisville, Kentucky metropolitan area who find themselves in need during times of crises. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, APRON Inc. has stepped up with a far greater volume of assistance to local workers than ever before.
Here’s how Chef in a Box works.
Each week up to fifty patrons can purchase a Chef in a Box for $50, which actually aren’t boxes but reusable bags provided by APRON Inc.
Participating eateries keep $25 toward expenses, while $25 goes to APRON Inc. toward its ongoing grant program.
The contents of Chef in a Box/Bag vary according to the establishment’s specialization and creativity, but you’ll always be able to view the menu in advance and know what you’re getting.
Typically there’ll be tasting selections for two; perhaps a favorite dish of the chef’s, or maybe a meal kit. Participating eateries also are encouraged to include a gift certificate, coupon, or promotional materials.
Chef in the Box Q & A
- How do I order the box? You contact the featured restaurant directly.
- When do I call? You can place your order starting on Friday prior to the restaurant’s featured week.
- Is it pickup or delivery? Each restaurant makes that decision, but usually it’s curbside pickup only.
- How much are the boxes? $50.
- How many boxes does each restaurant sell weekly? 50 boxes, although some have allotted more.
And now, the main attraction for the coming week.
CHEF IN A BOX dinner menu for TWO, $50, pickup June 21 (Wednesday) or June 22 (Thursday), 2023: Six Forks Burger Co., featuring owner/chef Troy King.
Appetizer: Two pineapple bourbon slushies
1st course: Twisted Corn — sweet yellow corn topped with yum-yum sauce, Parmesan cheese, smoked paprika and chives.
2nd Course: Your choice of 2 (two) Chef Selections Burgers (choose from):
- Shroom Burger – 1/4 lb. Patty topped with yum-yum sauce, smoked Gouda cheese, grilled mushrooms and onions.
- Southwest Burger – 1/4 lb. Patty topped with homestyle chili, queso, fried onions and banana peppers.
- Adult Only Burger – 1/4 lb. Patty topped with a fried egg, chopped bacon, white American cheese and chocolate bourbon sauce.
- Stir fry Burger – 1/4 lb. Patty topped with grilled mushrooms, onions, banana peppers, sweet peppers, sweet Thai chili sauce, teriyaki sauce and Swiss cheese.
3rd Course: Stir fry collard greens — collard greens dusted with Sazon seasoning and prepared on a flat top grill with mushrooms, sweet peppers, banana peppers and onions then drizzled with teriyaki sauce.
Gift Card Bonus: A $25 gift card for future use.
To order: Please call Six Forks Burger Co. at (502) 565-9750.
Pick up times for Chef in a Box: Pick ups will be on Wednesday 21 June and Thursday 22 June between 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. at Six Forks Burger Co., Six Forks Burger Co. 1039 Ash Street (in Schnitzelburg).
(All photos by Dan Dry)